wayfarer in the kitchen

Monday, December 31, 2007

Yum!


baked eggs
Originally uploaded by wayfarer
My mil talked about baked eggs before and fondly so when i saw this recipe in a book i went for it. Oh dear God! Yum! I didn't follow the recipe very much though.

Here's what i did.

Buttered a pie pan, laid phyllo sheets and buttered each layer and layered oh 6 or 7 times. Then i spread chopped provolone around the bottom of the pan, put the eggs on top of that and then topped with a mixture of chopped provolone and dried herbs. I think i used just a little bit of thyme, pepper, salt, and parsley. I don't like dried herbs much and didn't have fresh so i went real light on the herbs.

Then, you take heavy cream and put a tablespoon or two on top of each yolk. Bake until done. Recipe said 7 minutes. It took almost 25 minutes and my oven is fast. But i think they were doing them individually and they didn't use phyllo. I really strayed but they were good. I could only eat one though because they are super rich. They may cause a heart attack lol.

3 Comments:

Blogger otowi said...

Sounds interesting -kind of like quiche? But I guess better as I don't much care for quiche that I've had anyway.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Sketched Soul said...

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister,

Hahaha.. may cause a heart attack, is that your official disclaimer? :D

It looks awesome! Really, eggs..pastry, cream.. who can go wrong with that. Insha'Allah I shall try this out. Did you use four or five eggs??

Jazak'Allah for the recipe.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

PS: Do you know what this recipe originates from?

12:47 PM  
Blogger wayfarer said...

It's not like quiche at all. It's a cross between eggs benedict and fried eggs if you ask me. Really rich though. I could only eat one egg.

wa alaikum salaam Farhana

That is my disclaimer lol. I used four eggs but seriously one egg is enough per person because they are so rich. My husband did like them warmed up the next day though.

The recipe came from a book...lemme go look...
The Best of Casual Country Cooking
Country Inn by George Mahaffey

It's a James BEard award winner. There's about 6 recipes i want to make from it. The recipes look very gourmet but aren't hard at all. :-) Let me know if you try it.

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker