wayfarer in the kitchen

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Butter Chicken


Butter Chicken
Originally uploaded by wayfarer.
Here's the recipe...it's from a book called Greatest Ever Indian: easy and delicious step-by-step recipes


I varied it a little when i made it but i it's a pretty good recipe as it is... I do recommend marinating the meat a little while in the sauce...an hour or so and also cooking it much longer than they say...cook it until the chicken is tender and falling off the bone.

scant (whatever that is lol) 2/3 cup unsalted butter
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions finely chopped
1 tsp finely chopped or crushed fresh gingerroot
2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp black cumin seeds
1 garlic clove crushed
1 tsp salt
3 green cardamoma
3 black peppercorns
2/3 cup plain yoghurt
2 tbsp tomato paste
8 chicken pieces skinned
2/3 cup water
2 bay leaves
2/3 cup light cream

garnish: chopped cilantro, green chili's

1. Heat the butter and oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and cook until golden brown, stirring. Reduce the heat.
2. Place the ginger in a bowl. Add the garam masala, ground coriander, chili powder, cumin seeds, garlic, salt, cardamoms, and peppercorns and blend. Add the yogurt and tomato paste and stir well.
3. Add the chicken pieces to the yogurt and spice mixture and mix to coat well.
4. Add the chicken to the onions in the skillet and stir-fry vigorously, making semicircular movements, for 5-7 minutes.
5. Add the water and bay leaves and let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Add the cream and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and chilis.

14 Comments:

Blogger UmmAbdurRahman said...

Wow mashaallah! your food looks absolutely delish. I'm amazed by the variety of recipes you have.

I linked to you on my blog. Hope you don't mind.

I would love to see this recipe. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

2:14 PM  
Blogger wayfarer said...

sorry it took so long to post this recipe...

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so want to check out that book, I can't find it at my local bookstore though :(

6:05 PM  
Blogger UmmAbdurRahman said...

thank you! thank you! thank you!

i'm planning on giving this a try next week inshaallah. i showed one of my co-workers, who loves to cook, this recipe. she said it looked awesome too.

i will tell you how it turns out for both of us.

5:33 PM  
Blogger wayfarer said...

Hena - I found it at TJ Maxx of all places...

Ummabdurrahman - let me know how it turns out!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Sketched Soul said...

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dear sister,

Oooh.. I've tried making this a few times, but the recipe I use/found is a little different. It uses Peanut Oil (which gives a different taste) You first brown the chicken pieces in the peanut oil. And it doesn't call for bay leaves.

Thank you for sharing this recipe.. insha'Allah I hope to try this version.

Ma'salaama
Farhana

10:35 AM  
Blogger wayfarer said...

wa alaikum salaam!

Yeah, i've tried a few different ways of making it but tend to like the restaurant style and this recipe has come the closest so far. Let me know what you think. :-)

The other way i make it is with almonds and what not...it's a very light dish and good but this one is thick and robust. If you have a better recipe, please do share it because i'm looking for the perfect butter chicken. :-)

4:54 AM  
Blogger J Lev said...

Thank you for this recipe! I made it yesterday and me and my husband really loved it. :D I never made butter chicken before, but after yesterday he told me to make it all the time and invite people to eat it. THAT is what your recipes do to my life. hehehe :) Thanks so much.

3:34 PM  
Blogger wayfarer said...

lol. Glad you guys liked it!

5:58 AM  
Blogger UmmAbdurRahman said...

My husband came home from work past weekend and I FINALLY had a chance to try this recipe. All i can say is MashaAllah. It was absolutely wonderful. I made a whole indian inspired meal: butter chicken, okra, paratha, basmati rice, and a side salad.

my husband said it was my best "indian" dish so far. he LOVED it.

my only complaint, if I can even callit a complaint, is that I thought it was too much butter. I know I know, the recipe is called BUTTER chicken. next time, I might try halving the butter. It tasted amazing, but the whole I imagined big fat butter molecules sticking to my thighs the entire time I was eating it.

10:15 PM  
Blogger wayfarer said...

I agree. You can use a mixture of olive oil and butter too. It's an obscene amount of butter...kind of like the batches of cookies i made yesterday. I have an unhealthy addiction to butter chicken which is a good thing that i usually only eat it out which is not very often.

6:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I fianlly got around to making this on the weekend. WOW... it was sooooo yummy... I do agree though... too much butter ;-) Thanks

9:09 AM  
Blogger Organica said...

I chose this recipe for my Ramadan sidebar today :)

I can't use the butter or heavy cream. I might just call it "olive oil" chicken?

4:18 AM  
Blogger wayfarer said...

sounds good. :-)

5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker