I varied it a little when i made it but i it's a pretty good recipe as it is... I do recommend marinating the meat a little while in the sauce...an hour or so and also cooking it much longer than they say...cook it until the chicken is tender and falling off the bone.
scant (whatever that is lol) 2/3 cup unsalted butter
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions finely chopped
1 tsp finely chopped or crushed fresh gingerroot
2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp black cumin seeds
1 garlic clove crushed
1 tsp salt
3 green cardamoma
3 black peppercorns
2/3 cup plain yoghurt
2 tbsp tomato paste
8 chicken pieces skinned
2/3 cup water
2 bay leaves
2/3 cup light cream
garnish: chopped cilantro, green chili's
1. Heat the butter and oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and cook until golden brown, stirring. Reduce the heat.
2. Place the ginger in a bowl. Add the garam masala, ground coriander, chili powder, cumin seeds, garlic, salt, cardamoms, and peppercorns and blend. Add the yogurt and tomato paste and stir well.
3. Add the chicken pieces to the yogurt and spice mixture and mix to coat well.
4. Add the chicken to the onions in the skillet and stir-fry vigorously, making semicircular movements, for 5-7 minutes.
5. Add the water and bay leaves and let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Add the cream and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and chilis.