wayfarer in the kitchen

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Check out Vegan Lunch Box. I'm definately not vegan but it's great what she's doing. Her son must have the best eating habits ever! I plan on raising Little Dude with good eating habits too but not vegetarian or vegan, although i do want to start focusing on eating meat only a few days a week, fish and seafood a few days, and vegetarian one or two days. It's working well so far. I've been using the Super Baby Food cookbook for Little Dude and i just love the information in it. When he's a toddler there's also this organic baby and toddler cookbook. It's fun cooking his food. So far, it's only mashed avocado, mashed banana, and soon sweet potato. I also picked up brown rice this weekend to make homemade baby cereal. It's exciting and fun to see someone develop good eating habits.

My dad raised me on health food. We ate all of our food from Eureka Natural Foods. Mostly grains and the like. Very little red meat and hardly ever pork. The milk was powdered and what i truly hated about the diet. I just hated getting one of those dry lumps. Ugh. But we didn't eat preservatives or additives at all. My dad is very very healthy, never smoked or drank, always ate well and i think a little bit wore off on me. We didn't eat a lot of salads though. I still don't. It's something I'm working on. I don't like cold fruit and tomatos and stuff because it hurts my teeth. But i have learned that zapping it for 4 - 7 seconds in the microwave - depending on what it is - makes it the perfect temperature. DH thinks i'm a freak and looks at me like i'm nuts when he sees me do it but hey it's working! I've been eating my fruit.

Sugar is another thing. Ironically, my dad ran a Pepsi plant growing up but we never ever had soda in the house. I saw what went into that stuff and how bad it smells when it's being made and am still surprised that i drink it now. It really is sickingly bad for you. He also didn't let us eat sugared cereals and we rarely even ate dessert (i think only on birthdays). We also didn't eat out a lot. All of these things i still do (except for dessert). I now, since getting married and having a child, eat a lot of sugar. I might even be addicted. Something happened with childbirth or me feeding him. Don't know what but man, pass me the sugar bowl!

4 Comments:

Blogger Surviving said...

I was the same way with chocolate. Before I had my oldest, I really didn't eat much chocolate. I just didn't like it that much, especially dark chocolate. Then I got pregnant with my oldest. I eat more chocolate now, and I really, really, really like dark chocolate now.

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! that is so amazing you were raised up like that on an organic, all natural type diet like this without all the junky stuff most familys and kids eat today. Your dad was such a fanatastic example! I am doing this exact thing with our family. I dont allow dh to buy soda at all for one and we shop all organic/natural and only eat out for 1 meal per week or every other week.

4:20 PM  
Blogger wayfarer said...

Surviving - I used to hate chocolate too and people thought i was so weird but boy oh boy i love it now!

Lindsey - It was good. I do admit i went on a sugar binge after moving out (sugar cereals, cookies, boxed everything, everything i couldn't have at home) but it passed quickly. I soon got back to my familial ways.

It's good what you are doing for your family. :-)

7:25 AM  
Blogger Aoife said...

I checked the vegan lunch box... she has too much time on her hands, I think. Some of it looked good, but some of it I wouldn't eat myself, let along giving to my son. Way too much meat analogs too.

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker