wayfarer in the kitchen

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Chicken yakatori and salad


Chicken yakatori
Originally uploaded by wayfarer.
The recipe wasn't strong enough for me but my husband liked it a lot. I think the meat should be marinated beforehand... I think they don't have you do that because brown sugar often makes things burn. If i did this recipe again though, i'd marinate it anyhow and then i think it would be really good.

Ingredients:

1 lb boneless chicken breasts
1 bunch of scallions/green onions cut into inch long pieces
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon chicken stock
whatever else you want on there

Soak your bamboo skewers so they don't burn. Cube your chicken breasts. Skewer however you like. I did it with green onions/scallions with a tomato and mushroom at the top. Well actually that was my husbands touch. And he made that yummy salad too.

Anyhow, preheat your broiler or grill.

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine soy sauce, sugar and stock. Bring to a boil. Allow sauce to simmer for 3 minutes or so stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

Brush the broiler pan with oil and place the skewers of chicken on there. Broil for about 8-10 minutes. I think you should glaze them first though. I really didn't think they were strong enough.

Make sure chicken is basically cooked through and brush chicken with sauce every couple of minutes and turning them until done.

recipe came from a book called Japanese Cooking at Home. Don't remember the author.

2 Comments:

Blogger Surviving said...

It does sound and look good. I do agree with you, it would probably be better if it was marinated first. I just need to get some skewers so that I can try it out as well.

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker